Friday, June 20, 2014

Three years on...

It's been nearly three years since I moved to Sweden and nearly five years since the summer that inspired much of my decision to do so. My very first post on here was of my favorite lake, Mälaren and a quote from a fellow WWOOFer and traveler during my time in Strängnäs:

"Do crazy stuff as much as you can. Don't turn into one of those boring, tie-wearing wankers who know nothing but their job... you have had your eyes opened, so keep them open as long as you can." 

Compared to how I was before, the only difference between me and those boring, tie-wearing wankers is that I don't wear a tie - well, not usually. I seemed to have lost sight of things a bit lately. Not to say that my life has been miserable, not in the least, and I certainly like my job but I fully realize that I am leaving so much more fun and happiness on the table that is rightfully mine. I just need to wake up a bit, let go of the past and take it - I have woken up now.

I'm hopeful, because it's funny how quickly things can change. The perfect and most satisfying example being my last post - the girl I was always hoping to meet and fell in love with was leaving for Mexico for six months and it nearly broke my heart. But fast-forward 10 months, a trip to Mexico (plus a few others), a couple hundred Skype calls, six thousand Facebook messages and we're together and as in love as ever...

Feeling uninspired and allowing certain parts of yourself to stagnate is never a good thing. I've had a great run and achieved a lot of my goals but I'm not nearly over, in fact, I have to see this as only the beginning because in a lot of ways, it is. I am entering a new part of my life in Sweden. A new apartment, a girlfriend I adore and who adores me, and free healthcare - fuck yeah!

This summer will be one to remember - filled with new experiences, warm sunsets, good friends and lots of love... (and maybe even a trip to my beloved Mälaren).

Lake Mälaren

0 comments:

Post a Comment